(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the National Authority shall have the responsibility for laying down the policies, plans and guidelines for disaster management for ensuring timely and effective response to disaster.
(2) Without prejudice to generality of the provisions contained in sub-section (1), the National Authority may -
(a) lay down policies on disaster management;
(b) approve the National Plan;
(c) approve plans prepared by the Ministries or Departments of the Government of India in accordance with the National Plan;
(d) lay down guidelines to be followed by the State Authorities in drawing up the State Plan;
(e) lay down guidelines to be followed by the different Ministries or Departments of the Government of India for the purpose of integrating the measures for prevention of disaster or the mitigation of its effects in their development plans and projects;
(f) coordinate the enforcement and implementation of the policy and plan
(g) recommend provision of funds for the purpose of mitigation;
(h) provide such support to other countries affected by major disasters as may be determined by the Central Government;
(i) take such other measures for the prevention of disaster, or the mitigation, or preparedness and capacity building for dealing with the threatening disaster situation or disaster as it may consider necessary;
(j) lay down broad policies and guidelines for the functioning of the National Institute of Disaster Management.
(3) The Chairperson of the National Authority shall, in the case of emergency, have power to exercise all or any of the powers of the National Authority but exercise of such powers shall be subject to ex post facto ratification by the National Authority.
(1) The National Authority may constitute an advisory committee consisting of experts in the field of disaster management and having practical experience of disaster management at the national, State or district level to make recommendations on different aspects of disaster management.
(2) The members of the advisory committee shall be paid such allowances as may be prescribed by the Central Government in consultation with the National Authority.
(1) The Central Government shall, immediately after issue of notification under sub-section (1) of section 3, constitute a National Executive Committee to assist the National Authority in the performance of its functions under this Act.
(2) The National Executive Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:-
(a) the Secretary to the Government of India in charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the disaster management, who shall be Chairperson, ex officio;
(b) the Secretaries to the Government of India in the Ministries or
administrative control of the agriculture, atomic energy, defence, drinking water supply, environment and forests, finance (expenditure), health, power, rural development, science and technology, space, telecommunication, urban development, water resources and the Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff of the Chiefs of Staff Committee, ex officio.
(3) The Chairperson of the National Executive Committee may invite any other officer of the Central Government or a State Government for taking part in any meeting of the National Executive Committee and shall exercise such powers and perform such functions as may be prescribed by the Central Government in consultation with the National Authority.
(4) The procedure to be followed by the National Executive Committee in exercise of its powers and discharge of its functions shall be such as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
Section 1 - Short title, extent and commencement
Section 3 Establishment of National Disaster Management Authority
Section 4 Meetings of National Authority
Section 5 Appointment of officers and other employees of the National Authority
Section 6 Powers and functions of National Authority
Section 7 Constitution of advisory committee by National Authority
Section 8 Constitution of National Executive Committee
Section 9 Constitution of sub-committees Section 10 Powers and functions of National Executive Committee Section 11 National Plan
Section 12 Guidelines for minimum standards of relief
Section 13 Relief in loan repayment, etc
Section 14 Establishment of State Disaster Management Authority
Section 15 Meetings of the State Authority
Section 16 Appointment of officers and other employees of State Authority
Section 17 Constitution of advisory committee by the State Authority
Section 18 Powers and functions of State Authority
Section 19 Guidelines for minimum standard of relief by State Authority
Section 20 Constitution of State Executive Committee
Section 21 Constitution of sub-committees by State Executive Committee Section 22 Functions of the State Executive Committee Section 23 State Plan
Section 24 Powers and functions of State Executive Committee in the event of threatening disaster situation
Section 25 Constitution of District Disaster Management Authority
Section 26 Powers of Chairperson of District Authority
Section 28 Constitution of advisory committees and other committees
Section 29 Appointment of officers and other employees of District Authority
Section 30 Powers and functions of District Authority
Section 32 Plans by different authorities at district level and their implementation