CHAPTER V RESTITUTION TO DEPOSITORS
Save as otherwise provided in the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (54 of 2002) or the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (31 of 2016), any amount due to depositors from a deposit taker shall be paid in priority over all other debts and all revenues, taxes, cesses and other rates payable to the appropriate Government or the local authority.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (54 of 2002) or the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (31 of 2016), an order of provisional attachment passed by the Competent Authority, shall have precedence and priority, to the extent of the claims of the depositors, over any other attachment by any authority competent to attach property for repayment of any debts, revenues, taxes, cesses and other rates payable to the appropriate Government or the local authority.
(2) Where an order of provisional attachment has been passed by the Competent
(a) such attachment shall continue until an order is passed under sub-section (3) or sub-section (5) of section 15 by the Designated Court;
(b) all the attached money or property of the deposit taker and the persons mentioned therein shall vest in the Competent Authority and shall remain so vested till further order of the Designated Court.
(3) The Competent Authority shall open an account in a scheduled bank for the purpose of crediting and dealing with the money realised under this Act, which shall not be utilised except under the instructions of the Designated Court.
(4) The Competent Authority shall not dispose of or alienate the property or money attached, except in accordance with the order of the Designated Court under sub-section (3) or sub-section (5) of section 15.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (4), the Competent Authority may, if it thinks it expedient, order the immediate sale of perishable items or assets, and the proceeds of the sale shall be utilised in the same manner as provided for other property.
(1) The Competent Authority shall, within a period of thirty days, which may extend up to sixty days, for reasons to be recorded in writing, from the date of the order of provisional attachment, file an application with such particulars as may be prescribed, before the Designated Court for making the provisional attachment absolute, and for permission to sell the property so attached by public auction or, if necessary, by private sale.
(2) In case where the money or property has been attached on the permission
granted by a
Designated Court in another State or Union territory, the application for confirmation of such attachment shall be filed in that Court.