What is the law regarding Appeals to Appellate Tribunal? Section 46 of The BTP (Prohibition) Amendment Act 2016
(1) Any person, including the Initiating Officer, aggrieved by an order of the Adjudicating Authority may prefer an appeal in such form and along with such fees, as may be prescribed, to the Appellate Tribunal against the order passed by the Adjudicating Authority under sub-section (3) of section 26, within a period of forty five days from the date of the order.
(2) The Appellate Tribunal may entertain any appeal after the said period of forty-five days, if it is satisfied that the appellant was prevented, by sufficient cause, from filing the appeal in time.
(3) On receipt of an appeal under sub-section (1), the Appellate Tribunal may, after giving the parties to the appeal an opportunity of being heard, pass such orders thereon as it thinks fit.
(4) An Appellate Tribunal while deciding the appeal shall have the power -
(a) to determine a case finally, where the evidence on record is sufficient;
(b) to take additional evidence or to require any evidence to be taken by the Adjudicating Authority, where the Adjudicating Authority has refused to admit evidence, which ought to have been admitted;
(c) to require any document to be produced or any witness to be examined for the purposes of proceeding before it;
(d) to frame issues which appear to the Appellate Tribunal essential for
adjudication of the case and refer them to the Adjudicating Authority for
(e) to pass final order and affirm, vary or reverse an order of adjudication passed by the Adjudicating Authority and pass such other order or orders as may be necessary to meet the ends of justice.
(5) The Appellate Tribunal, as far as possible, may hear and finally decide the appeal within a period of one year from the last date of the month in which the appeal is filed.
Section 41 Distribution of business amongst Benches of Appellate Tribunal
Section 42 Power of Chairperson of Appellate Tribunal to transfer case
Section 43 Decision to be by majority
Section 44 Members etc to be public servants
Section 45 Bar of jurisdiction of civil courts
Section 46 Appeals to Appellate Tribunal
Section 47 Rectification of mistakes
Section 48 Right to representation
Section 49 Appeal to High Court