Criminal Conspiracy under Indian Penal Code is defined under Section 120A and Punishment for Criminal Conspiracy under section 120B of Indian Penal Code 1860. Provisions under section 120A and 120B are:
When two or more persons agree to do, or cause to be done,
(1) an illegal act, or
(2) an act which is not illegal by illegal means, such an agreement is designated a criminal conspiracy:
Provided that no agreement except an agreement to commit an offence shall
amount to a criminal conspiracy unless some act besides the agreement is
done by one or more parties to such agreement in pursuance thereof.
Explanation. It is immaterial whether the illegal act is the ultimate object of such agreement, or is merely incidental to that object.]
1. Ins. by Act 8 of 1913, s. 3.
(1) Whoever is a party to a criminal conspiracy to commit an offence punishable with death, 2[imprisonment for life] or rigorous imprisonment for a term of two years or upwards, shall, where no express provision is made in this Code for the punishment of such a conspiracy, be punished in the same manner as if he had abetted such offence.
(2) Whoever is a party to a criminal conspiracy other than a criminal conspiracy to commit an offence punishable as aforesaid shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term not exceeding six months, or with fine or with both.]
1. 3. Ins. by Act 8 of 1913, s. 3.
2. Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, s.
117 and the Sch., for "transportation" (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).