(1) The bankruptcy trustee may, by giving notice to the bankrupt or any person interested in the onerous property, disclaim any onerous property which forms a part of the estate of the bankrupt.
(2) The bankruptcy trustee may give the notice under sub-section (1) notwithstanding that he has taken possession of the onerous property, endeavoured to sell it or has exercised rights of ownership in relation to it.
(3) A notice of disclaimer under sub-section (1) shall-
(a) determine, as from the date of such notice, the rights, interests and liabilities of the bankrupt in respect of the onerous property disclaimed;
(b) discharge the bankruptcy trustee from all personal liability in respect of the onerous property as from the date of appointment of the bankruptcy trustee.
(4) A notice of disclaimer under sub-section (1) shall not be given in respect of the property which has been claimed for the estate of the bankrupt under section 155 without the permission of the committee of creditors.
(5) A notice of disclaimer under sub-section (1) shall not affect the rights or liabilities of any other person, and any person who sustains a loss or damage in consequence of the operation of a disclaimer under this section shall be deemed to be a creditor of the bankrupt to the extent of the loss or damage.
Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, the term "onerous property" means-
(i) any unprofitable contract; and
(ii) any other property comprised in the estate of the bankrupt which is unsaleable or not readily saleable, or is such that it may give rise to a claim.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016
Section 151 Rights of bankruptcy trustee
Section 152 General powers of bankruptcy trustee
Section 153 Approval of creditors for certain acts
Section 154 Vesting of estate of bankrupt in bankruptcy trustee
Section 155 Estate of bankrupt
Section 156 Delivery of property and documents to bankruptcy trustee
Section 157 Acquisition of control by bankruptcy trustee
Section 158 Restrictions on disposition of property
Section 159 After-acquired property of bankrupt