Whoever gives or fabricates false evidence intending thereby to cause, or knowing it to be likely that he will thereby cause, any person to be convicted of an offence which1 [by the law for the time being in force in 2 [India]] is not capital, but punishable with 3 [imprisonment for life], or imprisonment for a term of seven years or upwards, shall be punished as a person convicted of that offence would be liable to be punished.
A gives false evidence before a Court of Justice, intending thereby to cause Z to be convicted of a dacoity. The punishment of dacoity is 4 [imprisonment for life], or rigorous imprisonment for a term which may extend to ten years, with or without fine. A, therefore, is liable to5 [imprisonment for life] or imprisonment, with or without fine.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1948, for "by the law of British India or England".
2. Subs.by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and Schedule, for "the States".
3. Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, s. 117 and Schedule, for "transportation for life" (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).
4. Subs. by s. 117 and the Schedule, ibid., for "transportation for life" (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).
5. Subs. by s. 117 and the Schedule, ibid., for "such transportation" (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).