The word habeas corpus literally means to have a body. A writ of habeas corpus is in the nature of an order upon the person who has detained another to produce the latter before the court, in order to let the court know on what ground he has been confined and set him free if there is no legal justification for the imprisonment.
Sample format of Writ of Habeas Corpus to High Court is given below. This is only body of the Writ Petition. Please include other details also:
IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI
CRIMINAL ORIGINAL JURISDICTION
WRIT PETITION (CRIMINAL) NO. OF 2020
(UNDER ARTICLE 226 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA)
IN THE MATTER OF:
______ S/O ___________
AGED ABOUT ____ YEARS
RESIDENT OF __________
THROUGH ____ S/O ___, AGED _____
YEAR AS NEXT FRIEND PETITIONER
1. STATE GOVERNMENT
DELHI RESPONDENT NO. 1
2. DISTRICT MAGISTRATE
TEES HAZARI COURT
NEW DELHI RESPONDENT NO. 2
NEW DELHI RESPONDENT NO. 3
WRIT PETITION UNDER ARTICLE 226 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA PRAYING INTER
ALIA FOR ISSUING WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS TO RESPONDENT NO. 1, 2 AND 3 THEREBY
QUASHING THE IMPUGNED ORDER AND DIRECTING THE RELEASE OF THE PETITIONER AND
GRANTING REASONABLE COMPENSATION TO THE PETITIONER
The Hon'ble Chief Justice of High Court,
And His Companion Judges of the
Hon'ble High Court of Delhi.
The humble petition of the
Petitioner above named.
1. That the Petitioner is filing the present writ petition under article 226 of the constitution of India praying inter alia for issuing writ of habeas corpus to respondent no. 1, 2 and 3 thereby quashing the impugned order and directing the release of the petitioner and granting reasonable compensation to the petitioner.
2. That the petitioner resides in _________ and has been a law abiding citizen of India.
3. That on ___day of____, the Petitioner was arrested and detained for a period of 2 months in the Tihar Jail, New Delhi, wherein the Respondent No. 3 is the Superintendent, with an order passed by the Respondent No.1 dated ___under the National Security Act, 1980. A copy of the order by the Respondent No. 1 has been annexed herewith as Annexure 1.
4. That, on the date of getting detained and arrested in the Tihar Jail. The Petitioner was not informed about the grounds of his detention by Respondent No. 3.
5. That after Ten days of getting arrested and detained, the Petitioner was informed of his ground of arrest and detention.
6. The report of the ground of detention was furnished to the Petitioner in English, which is not understood by the Petitioner.
7. The Petitioner's father is interested in the release of the Petitioner from the detention.
8. That the Petitioners have no other efficacious remedy except to approach this Hon'ble Court by way of this Petition under Article 226 of the Constitution of India.
9. That the Petitioners have not filed any other petition or preceding in any court or tribunal throughout the territory of India regarding the matter.
10. Therefore, the order by Respondent No. 1 dated______, is illegal, arbitrary and with lack of jurisdiction because of the following grounds given below:-
That the present Writ Petition is being filed on the following, amongst other, grounds without prejudice to each other;
a. Because the grounds of detention were furnished to the Petitioner after prolonged delay.
b. Because the Petitioner's detention is violative of Article 21 of the Indian Constitution.
c. Because the grounds of detention of the Petitioner was given in English, which is not comprehensible for the Petitioner.
d. Because he grounds of detention is very arbitrary and vague.
In view of the facts & circumstances stated above, it is most respectfully prayed that this Hon'ble Court may be pleased to:-
a) Issue a Writ of Habeas Corpus to the Respondent 1 to 3 thereby quashing the impugned order;
b) Issue an appropriate Writ Directing release of the Petitioner;
c) Issue appropriate Writ granting reasonable compensation to the Petitioner;
d) Any other relief, order or direction this court may deem fit and proper
under the facts and circumstances of this case.
AND FOR THIS ACT OF KINDNESS THE APPLICANT AS IN DUTY BOUND SHALL EVER PRAY.
ADVOCATE FOR THE PETITIONER
OTHER INFORMATION, DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WITH WRIT PETITION
1. Notice of motion
2. Urgent application
3. Court fee
5. Synopsis & list of dates
6. Memo of parties
7. Annexure to the Petition
8. Application for exemption from filing certified copies, dim and small font annexures with affidavit.
9. Vakalatnama on behalf of the petitioner.
SLP under Article 136 of Constitution to Supreme Court against High Court Judgment
SLP (Criminal) under Article 136 of the Constitution against Judgment of High Court
SLP Application for exemption from filing officially translated documents
SLP affidavit to be filed with SLP (Special Leave Petition) in Supreme Court
SLP Advocate on Record (AOR) Certificate to be filed with SLP in Supreme Court
SLP Counter Affidavit from Respondents against Special Leave Petition (SLP)
SLP Rejoinder Affidavit against Counter Affidavit in Supreme Court of India
SLP Application for Withdrawal of case from Supreme Court on settlement or other reason
Supreme Court Civil Appeal u/s 22 of NGT Act 2010 to be filed in Supreme Court
Supreme Court Civil Appeal u/s 23 of Consumer Protection Act, Judgment of NCDRC
3. Writ Petitions
Supreme Court Writ Petition Public Interest Litigation (PIL) Article 32 of Constitution
4. Review Petitions
Review Petition to Supreme Court under Article 137 of Constitution, Format
Supreme Court Review Petition under Article 137 - AOR Certificate
Application for Permission to file Review Petition in Supreme Court
Supreme Court Transfer Petition u/s 406 of Criminal Procedure Code
6. Contempt Petition
Contempt Petition to Supreme Court under Section 12 of Contempt of Court Act
7. Applications to Supreme Court
Application for Impleadment in an existing case in Supreme Court
Application seeking Direction from Supreme Court in a Pending Case
Miscellaneous Application in Supreme Court in a decided case, for violating terms of order, praying for strict implementation of Supreme Court Judgment
Intervention Application to Supreme Court to Intervene in a Matter
Writ Petition under Article 226 and 227 to High Court to challenge CAT order
Writ Petition, Article 226 to High Court for seeking Writ to protect Fundamental Right
Writ Petition of Habeas Corpus to High Court to release a person, Quash order
Writ Petition seeking Mandamus to High Court to quash order and Reinstate Petitioner
Writ Petition, Prohibition in High Court to prohibit Respondents from initiating action
Writ Petition, Writ of Certiorari in High Court to quash order passed by Respondents
Writ Petition, Writ of Quo Warranto in High Court to cancel illegal appointment order