Order XXVII - Issue and Service of Summons : Supreme Court Rules 2013
What is the procedure for Issue and Service of Summons? Order XXVII of Supreme Court Rules 2013
Order XXVII of Supreme Court Rules 2013 : "Issue and Service of
1. When a suit has been duly instituted a summons shall be
issued to the defendant to appear and answer the claim.
2. Every summons shall be signed by the Registrar, and shall
be sealed with the seal of the Court.
3. Every summons shall be accompanied by a copy of the
4. The summons shall be served by being sent by registered
post to the Attorney-General for India or the Advocate-General
for the State, as the case may be, or to an advocate-on-record
of the defendant empowered to
5. There shall be endorsed on every summons a notice
requiring the defendant to enter an appearance within
twenty-eight days after the summons has been served.
6. A defendant shall enter the appearance by filing in the
Registry a memorandum in writing containing the name and place
of business of his advocate-on-record if any, and in default of
appearance being entered within the time mentioned in the
summons, or as hereinafter provided, the suit may be heard
7. The defendant shall forthwith give notice of his having
entered an appearance to the plaintiff.
8. The plaintiff shall within fourteen days after the
defendant has entered an appearance take out asummons
for directions returnable before the Judge in Chambers,
and the Judge shall on the hearing of the summons give
such direction with respect to pleadings,
interrogatories, the admission of documents and facts,
the discovery, inspection and production of documents
and such other interlocutory matters as he may think