Section 7 - Drawer, Drawee : Negotiable Instruments Act 1881



Who is Drawer?  Who is Drawee? Drawer and Drawee are defined under Section 7 of Negotiable Instruments Act 1881

Section 7 of Negotiable Instruments Act 1881: "Drawer", "Drawee"

The maker of a bill of exchange or cheque is called the "drawer"; the person thereby directed to pay is called the "drawee".

"Drawee in case of need": When the bill or in any endorsement thereon the name of any person is given in addition to the drawee to be resorted to in case of need, such person is called a "drawee in case of need".

"Acceptor": After the drawee of a bill has signed his assent upon the bill, or, if there are more parts thereof than one, upon one of such parts, and delivered the same, or given notice of such signing to the holder or to some person on his behalf, he is called the "acceptor".


"Acceptor for honor" : When a bill of exchange has been noted or protested for non-acceptance or for better security, and any person accepts it supra protest for honor of the drawer or of any one of the endorser, such person is called an "acceptor for honor".

"Payee" : The person named in the instrument, to whom or to whose order the money is by the instrument directed to be paid, is called the "payee".


Negotiable Instruments Act 1881


Section 4 - Promissory Note

Section 5 - Bill of exchange

Section 6 - Cheque

Section 7 - Drawer, Drawee



Section 8 - Holder

Section 9 - Holder in Due Course

Section 10 - Payment in due Course

Section 11 - Inland Instrument

Section 12 - Foreign Instrument



Section 13 - Negotiable Instrument

Section 14 - Negotiation

Section 15 - Endorsement

Section 16 - Endorsement in blank and in full endorsee



Section 17 - Ambiguous instruments

Section 18 - Where amount is stated differently in figures and words

Section 19 - Instruments payable on demand

Section 20 - Inchoate stamped instruments

Home     About Us     Privacy Policy     Disclaimer    Contact Us  Sitemap