Section 285BA of Income Tax Act "Obligation to furnish statement of financial transaction or reportable account"
Section 285BA. (1) Any person, being-
(a) an assessee; or
(b) the prescribed person in the case of an office of Government; or
(c) a local authority or other public body or association; or
(d) the Registrar or Sub-Registrar appointed under section 6 of the Registration Act, 1908 (16 of 1908); or
(e) the registering authority empowered to register motor vehicles under Chapter IV of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988); or
(f) the Post Master General as referred to in clause (j) of section 2 of the Indian Post Office Act, 1898 (6 of 1898) ; or
(g) the Collector referred to in clause (g) of section 3 of the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013 (30 of 2013) ; or
(h) the recognised stock exchange referred to in clause (f) of section 2 of the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Act, 1956 (42 of 1956) ; or
(i) an officer of the Reserve Bank of India, constituted under section 3 of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 (2 of 1934) ; or
(j) a depository referred to in clause (e) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Depositories Act, 1996 (22 of 1996) ; or
(k) a prescribed reporting financial institution, who is responsible for registering, or, maintaining books of account or other document containing a record of any specified financial transaction or any reportable account as may be prescribed, under any law for the time being in force, shall furnish a statement in respect of such specified financial transaction or such reportable account which is registered or recorded or maintained by him and information relating to which is relevant and required for the purposes of this Act, to the income-tax authority or such other authority or agency as may be prescribed.
(2) The statement referred to in sub-section (1) shall be furnished for such period, within such time and in the form and manner, as may be prescribed.
(3) For the purposes of sub-section (1), "specified financial transaction" means any-
(a) transaction of purchase, sale or exchange of goods or property or right or interest in a property; or
(b) transaction for rendering any service; or
(c) transaction under a works contract; or
(d) transaction by way of an investment made or an expenditure incurred; or
(e) transaction for taking or accepting any loan or deposit, which may be prescribed :
Provided that the Board may prescribe different values for different transactions in respect of different persons having regard to the nature of such transaction:
Provided further that the value or, as the case may be, the aggregate value of such transactions during a financial year so prescribed shall not be less than fifty thousand rupees.
(4) Where the prescribed income-tax authority considers that the statement furnished under sub-section (1) is defective, he may intimate the defect to the person who has furnished such statement and give him an opportunity of rectifying the defect within a period of thirty days from the date of such intimation or within such further period which, on an application made in this behalf, the said income-tax authority may, in his discretion, allow; and if the defect is not rectified within the said period of thirty days or, as the case may be, the further period so allowed, then, notwithstanding anything contained in any other provision of this Act, such statement shall be treated as an invalid statement and the provisions of this Act shall apply as if such person had failed to furnish the statement.
(5) Where a person who is required to furnish a statement under sub-section (1) has not furnished the same within the specified time, the prescribed income-tax authority may serve upon such person a notice requiring him to furnish such statement within a period not exceeding thirty days from the date of service of such notice and he shall furnish the statement within the time specified in the notice.
(6) If any person, having furnished a statement under sub-section (1), or in pursuance of a notice issued under sub-section (5), comes to know or discovers any inaccuracy in the information provided in the statement, he shall within a period of ten days inform the income-tax authority or other authority or agency referred to in sub-section (1), the inaccuracy in such statement and furnish the correct information in such manner as may be prescribed.
(7) The Central Government may, by rules made under this section, specify-
(a) the persons referred to in sub-section (1) to be registered with the prescribed income-tax authority;
(b) the nature of information and the manner in which such information shall be maintained by the persons referred to in clause (a); and
(c) the due diligence to be carried out by the persons for the purpose of identification of any reportable account referred to in sub-section (1).]
Section 287 of Income Tax Act "Publication of information respecting assessees in certain cases"
Section 287. (1) If the Central Government is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient in the public interest to publish the names of any assessees and any other particulars relating to any proceedings or prosecutions under this Act in respect of such assessees, it may cause to be published such names and particulars in such manner as it thinks fit.
(2) No publication under this section shall be made in relation to any penalty imposed under this Act until the time for presenting an appeal to the Commissioner (Appeals) has expired without an appeal having been presented or the appeal, if presented, has been disposed of.
Explanation.-In the case of a firm, company or other association of persons, the names of the partners of the firm, directors, managing agents, secretaries and treasurers, or managers of the company, or the members of the association, as the case may be, may also be published if, in the opinion of the Central Government, the circumstances of the case justify it.
What is Furnishing of information or documents by an Indian concern in certain cases? What is Submission of statements by producers of cinematograph films? Section 285A and 285B of Income Tax Act 1961
What is Obligation to furnish statement of financial transaction or reportable account? What is Publication of information respecting assessees in certain cases? Section 285BA and 287 of Income Tax Act 1961
What is Cognizance of offences? Section 360 of the Crpc and the Probation of Offenders Act, 1958, not to apply? What is the meaning of Return of income, etc., not to be invalid on certain grounds? Section 292, 292A and 292B of Income Tax Act 1961