Section 22 - Maintenance of dependants : Hindu Adoptions and
Maintenance Act 1956
What is the law for Maintenance of dependants? Section 22 of Hindu
Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956
Section 22 of Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act 1956 :
"Maintenance of dependants"
22. (1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section
(2) the heirs of a deceased Hindu are bound to
maintain the dependants of the deceased out of the
estate inherited by them from the deceased.
(2) Where a dependant has not obtained, by testamentary or
intestate-succession, any share in the estate of a Hindu dying
after the commencement of this Act, the dependant shall be
entitled, subject to the provisions of this Act, maintenance
from those who take the estate.
(3) The liability of each of the persons who takes the estate
shall be in proportion to the value of the share or part of the
estate taken by him or her.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained sub-section (2) or
sub-section (3), no person who is himself or herself a dependant
shall be liable to contribute to the maintenance of others, if
he or she has obtained a share or part the value of which is, or
would, if the liability to contribute were enforced, become less
than what would be awarded to him or her by way of maintenance
under this Act.