Article 243S of Constitution of India "Constitution and composition of wards Committees, etc"
(1) There shall be constituted Wards Committees,
consisting of one or more Wards, within the territorial area
of a Municipality having a population of three lakhs or
(2) The Legislature of a State may, by law, make provision with respect to-
(a) the composition and the territorial area of a Wards Committee;
(b) the manner in which the seats in a Wards Committee shall be filled.
(3) A member of a Municipality representing a ward within the territorial area of the Wards Committee shall be a member of that Committee.
(4) Where a Wards Committee consists of-
(a) one ward, the member representing that ward in the Municipality; or
(b) two or more wards, one of the members representing such wards in the Municipality elected by the members of the Wards Committee, shall be the Chairperson of that Committee.
(5) Nothing in this article shall be deemed to prevent the Legislature of a State from making any provision for the Constitution of Committees in addition to the Wards Committees.
Article 243T of Constitution of India "Reservation of seats"
(1) Seats shall be reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the
Scheduled Tribes in every Municipality and the number of
seats so reserved shall bear, as nearly as may be, the same
proportion to the total number of seats to be filled by
direct election in that Municipality as the population of
the Scheduled Castes in the Municipal area or of the
Scheduled Tribes in the Municipal area bears to the total
population of that area and such seats may be allotted by
rotation to different constituencies in a Municipality.
(2) Not less than one-third of the total number of seats reserved under clause (1) shall be reserved for women belonging to the Scheduled Castes or, as the case may be, the Scheduled Tribes.
(3) Not less than one-third (including the number of seats reserved for women belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes) of the total number of seats to be filled by direct election in every Municipality shall be reserved for women and such seats may be allotted by rotation to different constituencies in a Municipality.
(4) The offices of Chairpersons in the Municipalities shall be reserved for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and women in such manner as the Legislature of a State may, by law, provide.
(5) The reservation of seats under clauses (1) and (2) and the reservation of offices of Chairpersons (other than the reservation for women) under clause (4) shall cease to have effect on the expiration of the period specified in article 334 .
(6) Nothing in this Part shall prevent the Legislature of a State from making any provision for reservation of seats in any Municipality or offices of Chairpersons in the Municipalities in favour of backward class of citizens.
Article 243U of Constitution of India "Duration of Municipalities, etc"
(1) Every Municipality, unless sooner dissolved under any
law for the time being in force, shall continue for five
years from the date appointed for its first meeting and no
Provided that a Municipality shall be given a reasonable opportunity of being heard before its dissolution.
(2) No amendment of any law for the time being in force shall have the effect of causing dissolution of a Municipality at any level, which is functioning immediately before such amendment, till the expiration of its duration specified in clause (1).
(3) An election to Constitute a Municipality shall be completed,
(a) before the expiry of its duration specified in clause (1);
(b) before the expiration of a period of six months from the date of its dissolution:
Provided that where the remainder of the period for which the dissolved Municipality would have continued is less than six months, it shall not be necessary to hold any election under this clause for constituting the Municipality for such period.
(4) A Municipality constituted upon the dissolution of a Municipality before the expiration of its duration shall continue only for the remainder of the period for which the dissolved Municipality would leave continued. under, clause (1) had it not been so dissolved.
What is the Constitution and composition of wards Committees, etc? What is Reservation of seats? What is the Duration of Municipalities, etc? Article 243S, 243T and 243U of Constitution of India, 1949
What are the Disqualifications for membership? What are Powers, authority and responsibilities of Municipalities? What is the Power to impose taxes by, and funds, of, the Municipalities? Article 243V, 243W and 243X of Constitution of India, 1949
What is Application to Union territories? What is the meaning Part not to apply to certain areas? What is Committee for district planning? Article 243ZB, 243ZC and 243ZD of Constitution of India, 1949
What is Committee for Metropolitan Planning? What is Continuance of existing laws and Municipalities? What is Bar to interference by courts in electoral matters? Article 243ZE, 243ZF and 243ZG of Constitution of India, 1949
What is Administration of Scheduled Areas and Tribal Areas? What is Formation of an autonomous State comprising certain tribal areas in Assam and creation of local Legislature or Council of Ministers or both therefor? Article 244 and 244A of Constitution of India, 1949