Section 383 of CRPC "Procedure when appellant in jail"
If the appellant is in jail, he may present his petition of appeal and the copies accompanying the same to the officer in charge of the jail, who shall thereupon forward such petition and copies to the proper Appellate Court.
Andaman, Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep Islands:-
Insert the following words at the end:--
"Or if, by reason of the weather, transport or other difficulties, it is not possible to forward them to the proper Appellate Court, they shall be forwarded to the Administrator or an Executive Magistrate, not below the rank of a Sub-Divisional Magistrate, who shall, on receipt of such petition of appeal and copies, record thereon the date of receipt thereof and thereafter forward the same to the proper Appellate Court". Regulation 1 of 1974, w.e.f. 30-3-1974.
Section 384 of CRPC "Summary dismissal of appeal"
(1) If upon examining the petition of appeal and copy of
the judgment received under Section 382 or Section 383, the
Appellate Court considers that there is no sufficient ground
for interfering, it may dismiss the appeal summarily:-
(a) no appeal presented under Section 382 shall be dismissed unless the appellant or his pleader has had a reasonable opportunity of being heard in support of the same;
(b) no appeal presented under Section 383 shall be dismissed except after giving the appellant a reasonable opportunity of being heard in support of the same, unless the Appellate Court considers, that the appeal is frivolous or that the production of the accused in custody before the Court would involve such inconvenience as would be disproportionate in the circumstances of the case;
(c) no appeal presented under Section 383 shall be dismissed summarily until the period allowed for preferring such appeal has expired.
(2) Before dismissing an appeal under this Section, the Court may call for the record of the case.
(3) Where the Appellate Court dismissing an appeal under this section is a Court of Session or of the Chief Judicial Magistrate, it shall record its reasons for doing so.
(4) Where an appeal presented under Section 383 has been dismissed summarily under this section and the Appellate Court finds that another petition of appeal duly presented under Section 382 on behalf of the same appellant has not been considered by it, that Court may, notwithstanding anything contained in Section 393, if satisfied that it is necessary in the interests of Justice so to do, hear and dispose of such appeal in accordance with law.
Section 385 of CRPC "Procedure for hearing appeals not dismissed summarily"
(1)If the Appellate Court does not dismiss the appeal
summarily, it shall cause notice of the time and place at
which such appeal will be heard to be given:--
(i) to the appellant or his pleader;
(ii) to such officer as the State Government may appoint in this behalf;
(iii) if the appeal is from a judgment of conviction in a case instituted upon complaint, to the complainant
(iv) if the appeal is under Section 377 or Section 378, to the accused,
and shall also furnish such officer, complainant and accused with a copy of the grounds of appeal.
(2) The Appellate Court shall then send for the record of the case, if such record is not already available in the Court, and hear the parties:
Provided that if the appeal is only as to the extent of the legality of the sentence, the Court may dispose of the appeal without sending for the record.
(3) Where the only ground for appeal from a conviction is the alleged severity of the sentence, the appellant shall not, except with the leave of the Court, urge or be heard in support of any other ground.
No appeal to lie unless otherwise provided. What is appeal from orders requiring security or refusal to accept or rejecting surety for keeping peace or good behaviour? What is the rule for appeals from convictions? Section 372, 373 and 374 of Code of Criminal Procedure 1973
What is appeal against conviction by High Court in certain cases? What is Special right of appeal in certain cases? What is appeal to Court of Session? how heard Petition of appeal? Section 379, 380, 381 and 382 of Code of Criminal Procedure 1973
What is the procedure when appellant in jail? What is summary dismissal of appeal? What is the procedure for hearing appeals not dismissed summarily? Section 383, 384 and 385 of Code of Criminal Procedure 1973
What is Procedure where Judges of Court of Appeal are equally divided? What is Finality of judgment and orders on appeal? What is Abatement of appeals? Section 392, 393 and 394 of Code of Criminal Procedure 1973